Mrs. Long Locked Her Lesson in her Toolbox! Can the students save the day??

Mrs. Long 'somehow' locked her lesson in her toolbox.  The students had to solve clues to help her get her lesson out and save her job!!

This was a modified #breakoutedu activity! Using several re settable locks purchased through Amazon and Walmart, I created clues that helped the kids decipher the combinations. (These are some of the locks and hasp on Amazon.)




I knew my Digital Safety lesson wasn't going to take my entire 45 minute block and I wanted the kids to be excited to find out what was in the box, so I created the clue activity to fill some of the class time.

I created simple clues that could be solved in a matter of minutes.  Each table/group was responsible for deciphering one clue.  I gave one person at each table mardi gras beads, and they were the only person that was allowed to approach the box and attempt to open the locks.  (This saved my sanity and kept 25-30 kids from fighting over the locks and box!)



My clues for this activity:

  • Number of bones in the human body + 54 + 32. (the did need to google)
  • Lionell Messi's birthday - 787
  • The year North Carolina became a state.
  • A morse code clue (Morse Code printable & Morse Code Translator) **It is helpful to help students identify where one letter starts and one ends.
  • If you have two hundred dollar bills, twelve ten dollar bills and seventeen one dollar bills, how much do you have?
  • 23,562 - 22,372 =
  • Two clues for the directional lock using maps and directions.  Example:  The mountains are the ___ part of North Carolina.  Arkansas is ______ of Missouri.
Once the kids helped me get into my box, it contained items to help us remember how to stay safe online!  I got the idea from Craig Budara's website here and here!

I used most of his suggestions but made two minor adjustments to mine.
  • I used the mirror to help students realize that what they type may come across as negative even if they meant it in the positive, because the reader cannot see their facial expressions or hear the tone in which it was spoken.
  • The camera helps them remember that if a camera was recording what they were doing online would their parents/teachers/friends approve of what they were doing or saying online?
For more information and assistance:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poet Tree!

Lesson Brought to You by the Letter P (and Twitter!!!)

Stone Fox - Chapter 9